January 29, 2008

An Advancing Life

Charlie Bucket, Augustus Gloop, Violet Beauregarde, Veruca Salt and Mike Teavee are the famous characters of Roald Dahl’s Charlie & the Chocolate Factory.  We all know the story - as the winners of five Golden Tickets, these children are given the chance to take a tour through Wonka’s enchanting candy-land.

At the end of the story, it is revealed that the lottery was a front for Willy Wonka's attempt to choose his successor. As the last Golden Ticket winner left standing, Charlie inherits the chocolate factory. 

Although five enthusiastic children start the tour, only Charlie Bucket makes it to the end.  The other four children become so enraptured with a particular point in the journey that they miss the blessing that comes with advancing until the end.

Dahl’s story reminds me of an event in the history of the Israelites. 

After their release from slavery in Egypt and a taxing three-month journey through the wilderness, the Israelites make camp at the foot of Mt Sinai.  This is an incredible place for the Israelites.  At Sinai God revealed Himself to Moses.  At Sinai God gave the Ten Commandments.  At Sinai the Priesthood was established and the Tabernacle built.  At Sinai the Israelites rested from their journey. 

After almost 12 months at Sinai, God speaks to Moses in Deuteronomy 1:6, saying, ‘You have dwelt long enough at this mountain.  Turn and take your journey…’ There is no doubting that Mt Sinai was a great thing for the Israelites, just like there is no doubting that nappies were a great thing for me…for a time.

The lesson is this: even good places become detrimental if we dwell in them too long.  Unless a person continues to grow, develop and advance they will become stale, stunted and stagnant.   

Charles Spurgeon once said:

We ought to increase our capital stock.  Are you increasing in gift and capacity?  My brethren, do not neglect yourselves.  I observe that some brethren grow, and others stand still, dwarfed and stunted…The most needful and profitable labour is that which we spend upon our own mental and spiritual improvement.

Here are four reasons why we must commit to advancement:

1. Because God's Investment Demands It

When I consider the fact that the Lamb was slain so that I could advance from my old life (Egypt) into God’s promised life (Canaan) it compels me to advance beyond my present (Sinai).  Further to this, God has also invested His Spirit within me that I have the responsibility to stir up. 

It would be the ultimate waste to receive God’s gracious investment and become lethargic with it.  Paul understood this when he wrote in 1 Corinthians 15:10, ‘His grace toward me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all…  A fruitful, advancing life is my return on God’s investment of grace.

2. Because the Enemy is Plundered by It 

Mark 3:27 says, ‘No one can enter a strong man's house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man. And then he will plunder his house.’  Therefore, if I was the devil and wanted to plunder your life, I would bind you until you are stationary and unable to advance.  Nobody is afraid of a motionless foe.

As long as I am bound up the enemy is the aggressor.  However the moment I commit to advancement, I become the aggressor and start to possess what God says is mine. 

3. Because Others are Blessed by It

If Moses had not heeded the call to advance, all of the Israelites, including Joshua and the next generation would have been stuck too.  Moses personal failure to advance would have restricted others from advancing also.  

Put simply, when my personal capacity is increased I increase my capacity to bless you.  If this is true than it is also true that a stagnant life is a selfish life.  A life committed to advancement is a life committed to increasing generosity.

4. Because a Greater Season Urges It

If I become like Augustus Gloop and allow myself to be completely enamored with the chocolate rivers at the start of the journey, I forgo the chocolate factory that awaits at the end of the journey. 

If I’m preoccupied with the good things at Sinai, I can miss out on the great things at Canaan.  As John D. Rockefeller once said ‘Don’t be afraid to give up the good to go for the great.’  

My prayer must be that I am continually reminded that God has prepared greater things in my future.  That I would often hear his voice saying ‘You have dwelt long enough at this mountain.  Turn and take your journey.’    

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dustan. I jumped onto your site after James tagged you from his blog. This is a great post. I have taken much from it and am going to see if I can print it to read over a few more times. Brilliant.
Rachel