June 23, 2008

10 Questions Leaders Ask

Pastor Rick Roberts of Gympie Christian Church spoke at Kings Training College last Friday. He passed on to me 10 questions that leaders ask themselves, helping to take stock of their progress.

1. Am I investing in myself?
- This is a personal growth question

2. Am I genuinely interested in others?
- This is a motive question
- Mature leaders motivate by moving people for mutual benefit

3. Am I doing what I love doing and loving what I do?
- This is a passion question
- If I go to work only to fulfill processes and functions, I am effectively retired
- Passion gives you the energy advantage over others

4. Am I investing my time with the right people?
- This is a relationship question

5. Am I staying in my strength zone?
- This is an effectiveness question
- I don't have to be a jack of all trades
- Delegation frees me to focus on what only I can offer to the organisation
- The church needs more genius and less average

6. Am I taking others to a higher level?
- This is a mission question
- Longterm influence is determined by the seeds I sow
- My mission is to add value to leaders who will multiply value to others

7. Am I taking care of today?
- This is a success question
- Success is determined by my daily agenda
- Are my habits utilizing my time or frittering it away

8. Am I taking time to think?
- This is a leadership question
- A minute of thought is greater than an hour of talk
- Taking time to think allows me to live life purposefully
- I author my life by clearing my schedule for thinking

9. Am I developing leaders?
- This is a legacy question
- Am I striving to create successors who go beyond myself

10. Am I pleasing God?
- This is an eternity question
- Is my conscience clean before God and man?

No comments: