July 2, 2008

Ultimate Frisbee

I met an interesting uni student a few weeks ago, the son of a couple at Kings Noosa. When I asked what he did for fun he quickly introduced me to Ultimate Frisbee, which ensued a fascinating conversation!

Turns out that he was in Brazil last December, representing Australia at the International Ultimate Frisbee Championships! I was in the presence of one of our nation's greats and I didn't even know it!

I also learned that there is a tinge of arrogance in the sport's title. It's called 'ultimate' frisbee simply because they believe that it's the ultimate sport. Imagine if every sport adopted this motto: ultimate darts, ultimate bowls, ultimate fencing, ultimate lacrosse. Anyway, I admire their confidence.

He told me that I had to check the sport out for myself via YouTube. It actually looks cool and the athleticism, vertical leap and marking is reminiscent of AFL , thereby making it cool. Check out the video and ignore the cheesy music.

No comments: